Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Kindergarten


Last week was Jessica’s first week of school.  Most parents, for their child’s first day of Kindergarten, have to wake their child up early, force breakfast into them, make sure they are dressed and presentable, and then quickly usher them off to school.  Then, they spend the next 7 hours agonizing over what their child is doing, if they like their teacher, if they are getting along with their classmates, if and what they are learning, and countless other concerns.  Jessica’s first day was much different.  We are now among the growing 3% of families that home school.  Jessica’s first day of school went like this:

August 29th, 2011

8am- woke up, had breakfast while talking excitedly about our day ahead.  After breakfast, we all got cleaned up and dressed (because I wanted pictures of our first day, and I did not want her to think we would do school in our pajamas EVERY day). 


9am- started school with a surprise- new backpacks and school supplies!  


After the kids checked out their new stuff, paraded around the house wearing their new backpacks, and let Joseph get a hold of their new mechanical pencils, we took our spots for the first lesson.  We did our bible study, language arts, geography, handwriting, math, and science lessons.  Jacob did the same lessons Jessica did (although standards for him were set a little lower since he is a year younger).  



 Joseph participated by listening to the story, coloring on his paper while they did handwriting, and playing with the math manipulatives (which were little colored shapes the first day) during math time. 


10am- wondered how we possibly did so much in one hour, then played the X-box Kinnect for PE since it was too hot to go outside.



Since I am their teacher, I did not have to worry if or what my kids were learning.  I did not have to wonder what they were doing and with whom (since I was there with them), and I did not have to wait till 3pm to pick them up and try to squeeze in some fun time before dinner and bed.  I got to spend the whole week with them… watching them learn, think, develop, and play.  And, since I only have 2 students, we finish in about an hour each day, which gives us the rest of the day to play and explore.  It was a lot of fun, and I am looking forward to the weeks ahead.  It was so rewarding hearing Jessica tell me over lunch how much she enjoyed school and how she can’t wait to do it again tomorrow.

I realize not every day will go that well (like today when Jessica is getting sick and is extra whiney, Jacob was not the least bit interested in what we were reading, and Joseph was only happy if he was getting into things he is not supposed to), but I am truly thankful that I am able to stay home during the week and teach my children.  John even surprised me by being the “substitute teacher” on Friday (since it was his Friday off and I had to work).  He and the kids all really enjoyed it, especially the “sink or float” science experiment.  It is so much fun watching your kids learn and figure things out; especially knowing it was with your guidance.  I am very glad we decided to home school (and did not back out when the kids were driving me crazy the last few weeks).  Occasionally though, I have to remind myself why we are doing this (like when I am dragging 3 children to the grocery store, post office, any other errands, or just sitting around the house with grumpy children on a “bad” day). I know homeschooling is not for everybody, and they could get a good education in the public school a block from our home, but for now, we are all very happy with our current arrangement... and I am enjoying my children a little longer.

1 comment:

Jen Lewis said...

I love Jessica's horse folder. Reminds me of you. :) I am guessing you picked it out. I can't wait to read more about what they are learning. I miss you guys! See you in a few months. I expect a full report of what you have learned Jessica and Jacob!