Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Post Haiti

If there is one thing that could sum up what I witnessed in Haiti, it would be:

“The people who walk in darkness will see a great light; those who live in a dark land, the light will shine on them. “ Isaiah 9:2.
View from the roof of Pastor Rene & Dorentia's house

For 200 years, Haiti has been walking in darkness, dedicated to voodoo by its government. Recently, the country has been re-dedicated to Christ by the president. The light has begun to shine on their dark land, and it is spreading rapidly. There are signs of Jesus everywhere, even on their public transportation, the tap-taps.



I have never seen God at work so visibly on such a large scale as I have on this trip. Starting with the Airport in Miami, there were at least three other mission groups and numerous individuals working with Christian organizations waiting to board the plane to Haiti and serve its people. We were all headed to different areas of the country with different projects, but the ultimate goal was the same… to be the hands and feet of Christ.

Our mission in Haiti was mostly medical. We did 4 days of clinic in 3 different locations. We also had an educator who met with their education leaders, and an engineer who evaluated and improved the construction in the area where our church is building. Our pastor, Steve, also got to meet with the head of their agricultural department to discuss the opportunity to set up a farm school, modeled after a successful system our church has set up in other countries, and the possibility of starting a coffee industry.
Clinical at Acrahaie


Camp Abraham Clinic


Port-au-Prince Clininc

During our trip, I was involved with the medical clinics. We did two days in Arcahaie, one day in Camp Abraham, and one in Port-au-Prince. Each location was unique in the setup, organization, accommodations, and the local people. The one thing that remained the same was the young children. Wherever we went they were watchful, hopeful, playful, and overjoyed at any attention they received from us. Even though we did not speak the same language, they were still easy to understand. A simple look, handshake, photo, or game would elicit smiles and excitement from all around.













On Sunday, we had a break from clinical and attended church in Arcahaie. It was humbling to see the passion they had when singing and worshiping the Lord.

After church, we were able to interact with all the children. It was fun being able to sit and relax and play with the kids that had been watching us work all week. That afternoon, we got to go for a quick trip to the beach and see some more of the beautiful country.




It was refreshing yet sobering to see a different part of Haiti… different in location and economics. Here we saw people dropping in to the convenience store and preparing their boats for an afternoon of fun. It felt a lot like a weekend on Lake Conroe would. However, it seemed strange to witness a scene like this when we had just left a group of kids who were so used to going without food that they named it a “hungry day” when they knew they were not going to eat that day. It made me want to ask them to take some of their food to the families just over the hill. Then, I wondered how many hungry families there were back home that I didn’t know about.

When I first got to Haiti, I have to admit I was a little disappointed at the waste… waste of resources as they stripped their lush land for cooking fires and building materials, and wasted efforts as they used inefficient construction and farming techniques. The soil is so rich, yet the land is so bare… and full of trash. The people work so hard yet have little to show for it. Then I saw some of the thriving gardens some people have around their homes, and I suddenly had a vision of how beautiful and plentiful the land could be if they used it to its full potential. That image filled me with hope and sorrow. Hope for what the future could be, but sorrow for the people trapped in this dark land. Then, I realized I am the same way. I waste my talents and resources instead of using them to God’s full potential. How much better could my life be if I stopped trying to do everything myself and let God show me a better way? As I remembered the verse above, I realized God is just starting to shine His light on this dark land. He has just begun His work here in Haiti and with these people. What a beautiful place it will be when His light shines bright over every inch of this land. I am so glad I got to see Haiti at the beginning of this great revival. I can’t wait to see it at its completion.

Here are some more of my favorite pics, and you can see even more at
http://haitimission42011.snapfish.com/snapfish  and click on the pic of my backpack and hat to see the slideshow.


kids watching our clinic at Arcahaie through the door (no, they are no in prison)



2 story Orphanage under construction


houses on the road to Arcahaie community

Church and School in background at Arcahaie
looks beautiful, smells like sulfur

she makes it look so easy



view of Camp Abraham from the back

aqueducts for crop irrigation in Arcahiae (and for bathing, washing clothes, and animals apparantly)



there were lots of UN soldiers.. not sure what they were doing

clean water well in Prot-au-Prince

view of the Port at Port-au-Prince

President's palace




playing soccer with plastic bottle


guarding UN parking lot


No comments: