Tuesday, September 30, 2008

First Real Blog



Thanks to my cousin Jennifer, I now have my very own blog!! Now, my friends and family can just look here for new pictures and updates of the kids (assuming I find time to keep it up to date). Of course, I still want e-mails from all of you and will do my best to respond to them.

Well, we are finally back home after Hurricane Ike, and it is great to have power again. Luckily, our house was not damaged during the storm. Most of the trees in our neighborhood were rather small, so those homes that did have damage were just roof leaks or downed fences. The areas around our neighborhood had LOTS of large fallen trees though. But, it looks like things are starting to get cleaned up and back to normal. The stores that are open are not fully stocked, but have enough to live on. The gas stations seem to be back to normal though.

After the storm, John and I took the kids to Dallas to stay with my brother. He just bought a new house (good timing for us), and it was great getting to spend time with him and for the kids to get to know him better. It was great weather in Dallas most of the time we were there, and we had lots of fun with friends and family. John had to come back to Houston to work, so he was here alone without power for a while. Luckily, he was at work during the hot part of the day. I stayed with the kids at my brothers and came back to Houston to work on the weekends (while our families took care of our kids). We finally got power back on Saturday. So, after working Sat night, I went to Dallas on Sunday and brought the kids home yesterday. We had fun in Dallas, but it is nice to be back in our own home and to have the whole family back together again.

Jessica was really attached to her Uncle Scott and always looked for entertainment from him after his work. He let her play on the computer and got her a little kid 4-wheeler that she LOVED.

Jacob learned to walk while we were in Dallas. He was walking a little before we left (he would take 5-6 steps or walk holding onto my finger), but he can walk all over the house now (and he does at every opportunity). It is so cute to watch him walking after his big sister (who is barely bigger, but a lot more experienced at walking and talking).


John started at a new office with his work last week. He seems to really like it, and they are talking about getting him a raise (both very good things). Unfortunately, the drive is still as far as the other office.

As for me, I am just trying to get our lives back to normal. There is a fridge to fill (by the way... if you ever have to leave a fridge without power, make sure you empty it first. 7 day old warm soggy food does not smell good! We had to clean the fridge 3 times with bleach to get rid of the smell), bags to unpack, laundry to wash, bills to catch up on, etc., ect..

I also started an Outdoor Adventure Boot Camp today. It is every morning (Mon-Fri) for 4 weeks. I think the main adventure is getting there by 5:15am every day. But, it is a nice way to start the day. Plus I have plenty of time to myself afterwards before the kids wake up (to do the things mentioned in above paragraph or to procrastinate by blogging =).

There is much more I wanted to say (mainly about how the Lord protected and guided us through this difficult time), but I guess I will save that for tomorrow morning.

2 comments:

Jen Lewis said...

Welcome to the world of blogging!!! I am looking forward to reading more!!!

Unknown said...

It was so nice to see the kids and get to spend some time with you. I am just sorry it took a hurricane to get to see you.